Legacy Recordings, MAD SEASON
In 1996, work began on a second Mad Season album with Mike, Barrett and Baker writing and recording the basic tracks for 15 new songs. Unfortunately, because of declining health, Layne wasn't able to make any of the recording sessions and the album was shelved. Fate subsequently took each musician in a different direction: Mike back to Pearl Jam and Barrett back to Screaming Trees. Tragically, both Baker (1999) and Layne (2002) passed away.
In 2012, the two remaining band members, Mike and Barrett, along with Above's original producer Brett Eliason , convened in Seattle to sift through the original magnetic tapes from that second album's sessions to revisit the unfinished songs. They called on Mark Lanegan to pen lyrics and sing on 3 of the best of those songs, including one co-written by Peter Buck of REM, which will be featured on the forthcoming reissue honoring the legacy of Layne and Baker.
Tracklisting for 3-disc Mad Season Above Deluxe Edition
CD1 - Above tracklist
- Wake Up
- X-Ray Mind
- River of Deceit
- I'm Above
- Artificial Red
- Lifeless Dead
- I Don't Know Anything
- Long Gone Day
- November Hotel
- All Alone
PLUS bonus tracks:
- Interlude (previously unreleased)
- Locomotive (Lyrics/vocals by Mark Lanegan )
- Black Book Of Fear (Lyrics/vocals by Mark Lanegan )
- Slip Away (Lyrics/vocals by Mark Lanegan )
- I Don't Wanna Be A Soldier (remix)
CD2 - Live at The Moore
- Previously unreleased full audio set of Live at The Moore performance from Seattle, WA, April 29, 1995.
- Includes "Wake Up" "Artificial Red" "I Don't Wanna Be A Soldier" "I'm Above" (featuring Mark Lanegan ).
DVD - Live at The Moore + Bonus Footage
- Full video set of the Live at The Moore performance from Seattle, WA performance, April 29, 1995. Remixed and remastered for 5.1 sound, and newly edited by director Duncan Sharp .
- Plus, more bonus footage, including a full concert of the band's performance from New Years Eve 1995 at RKCNDY in Seattle, and both performances from the Seattle-based Self-Pollution Radio specials, one newly edited.
SOURCE Legacy Recordings