It'll Never Happen Again, Tim Hardin, Reason To Believe, Full Time Hobby
Past Articles by This Author:
Wolf Trap Adds Jill Scott to 2013 Summer Filene Center SeasonAsher Monroe Electrifies Crowds at Wango TangoREO Speedwagon to Perform at 2013 Material Handling & Logistics ConferenceBosnian Rainbows Confirm Additional Tour DatesJoanne Shaw Taylor Confirms November UK TourPet Shop Boys 'Axis' Currently Premiering Via MixmagFirepower Records to Release 'Futures' EP From Konec, 5/28Joanne Shaw Taylor Confirms UK Tour with King King; Tickets on Sale TodayBTIG Counts Down to 2013 Commissions for Charity DayAntoinette Montague Performs at NY Baha'i Center Tonight
But Reason To Believe is more than an opportunity to pay lip service to one of the most gifted and overlooked talents in generations, with its artists (in the true spirit of Hardin) getting creative with the songs. The record begins with Wellington cinematic-pop types The Phoenix Foundation and a dazzling reworking of "Don't Make Promises You Can't Keep", the '60s groove and strummed guitar of Hardin's original replaced by a tsunami wash of post-rock pianos and airy vocals. From there, the good times keep tumbling. Sam Genders' Diagrams turn the tender "Part Of The Wind" into an electronics epic guided by 16-bit bleeps and ghostly synths, while Smoke Fairies offer a broody, smokey, intense take on"If I Were A Carpenter" that burrows its way into your psyche.
With artwork by Jack White's former collaborator Miles Johnson at Third Man Records and extensive linear notes by Rock's Backpages music critic and highly respected author Barney Hoskyns, Reason To Believe is too good to miss.
Reason To Believe - The Songs Of Tim Hardin (out physically 2/26 on Full Time Hobby) tracklisting:
1. The Phoenix Foundation - Don't Make Promises You Can't Keep
2. The Sand Band - Reason To Believe
3. Mark Lanegan - Red Balloon
4. Diagrams - Part Of The Wind
5. The Magnetic North - It's Hard To Believe In Love For Long
6. Alela Diane - How Can We Hang On To A Dream
7. Snorri Helgason - Misty Roses
8. Sarabeth Tucek - If I Knew
9. Okkervil River - It'll Never Happen Again
10. Smoke Fairies - If I Were A Carpenter
11. Gavin Clark - Shiloh Town
12. Hannah Peel - Lenny's Tune
13. Pinkunoizu - I Can't Slow Down
Artwork: Miles Johnson
More Articles by This Author...